Ten Ways to Manage Your Herpes
Symptoms and Relieve Discomfort
While there is no cure for
herpes, and no guaranteed method of preventing the recurrence of herpes outbreaks, the following treatments can
help relieve pain and discomfort.
1. Practice good hygiene. Keep your
body clean, wash your hands frequently and try to avoid touching the sores.
2. Take salt baths. This method can
clean, dry and ease the pain of blisters and sores. Mix a few tablespoons of salt in a shallow
3. Cool the affected area. Applying
ice directly to the sores or drying the area with a blow dryer on the cool setting can offer some
4. Wear loose-fitting clothing. Loose
clothing reduces discomfort and promotes healing of the sores. Wear cotton, rather than synthetic
sun block. Keeping your skin protected can help prevent the recurrence of HSV-1.
6. Urinate in a cool bath or shower.
If you experience painful urination, this process dilutes the urine and prevents burning the
7. Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of
water each day.
8. Practice abstinence when you are
experiencing symptoms of herpes. Help prevent the spread of herpes by avoiding sexual activity when you are
experiencing any symptoms, including tingling, itching or tenderness at the site of
9. Take over-the-counter medicines.
Reduce fever and tenderness by taking acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen.
10. Stay stress-free. Lowering stress
can boost the immune system and possibly reduce your symptoms.
Genital Herpes and Your Sex Life